Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Playlist of Me

The playlist exercise was a lot of fun! When we got this assignment, I knew exactly what was coming next. I knew that we were going to have to put our voice over the sound. Knowing what was to come kind of helped me shape my playlist into a certain genre. I chose all older songs because I knew that they would sound good when they were mixed together. I think that was a smart choice on my part because they did sound good mixed together.
Writing this was probably the hardest part, but it was also the most rewarding. I decided to start with my voice and no music under it because I wanted to give the audience a chance to become adjusted to my voice with nothing else. This way, they weren’t hit with my voice and music at the same time. I also really like the piano intro to Lullabye by Billy Joel, so I thought that it would sound good if I talked and then let that play alone for a little. I think my songs worked because they are well known. This way, the audience doesn’t have to try to listen to two things at once because they will most likely know the song that is playing behind my voice.
When we got the Playlist assignment, we were told to choose songs that were relevant to our lives. We were supposed to think about things we were proud of or struggles we overcame. This helped me decide how I wanted to start my piece. I said “I guess I didn’t really have a hard life.” I never really struggled with anything and I am lucky to have such an easy life. Also, while I was writing this, I decided to talk about the five things that are most important to me. They are; my family, performing, my friends, my brother, and always living in the moment. This helped my piece to be more focused and narrowed down.
Recording this was pretty easy. I guess I don’t really record the way we’re supposed to. I like to record in chunks and save them as individual files. I think it makes editing and mixing a lot easier. I have done all of my pieces this way and it is just something that works for me.
Editing this piece was really easy. I think that is only because I have had so many failed attempts and so much practice with Radio Reporting. I edited this piece in one class session and I think it turned out really well. There are some parts that could be better but with the time I had, I think it was good. I liked the way that when I was finished talking about dance and performing, Elton John’s voice came right in with the line “dancing in the sand.” I also liked the end when I finished talking about how I think life will just keep getting better and this is only the beginning, Springsteen came right in with the chorus of Glory Days. Overall, I had a lot of fun with this assignment and I couldn’t wait to let my parents listen to it!



Playlist Of Me by Kayla Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment