Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Soundwalk Part 2: Recording

Going out and recording the soundwalk was much different than just sitting somewhere and listening. I had to change two of my locations from my original soundwalk because the locations just weren't working. In my first soundwalk, I listened to the boys playing with the frisbee. When I went back to record, there was no one around. I felt as though I'd be missing out if I sat there and recorded just nature sounds. It is hard to record sounds outside because the recorders pick up the wind. To me, I hear the wind blowing through the trees. But when it is recorded, it just sounds like like wind.
The second location I had to change was sitting outside near the front entrance to the Reed Union Building. I was having the same problem with the wind. Instead of doing these two, I decided to make the soundwalk a short clip of my day. I started out in my apartment watching TV. I was hungry, so I recorded myself eating goldfish. It was getting close to class time, so I closed up the goldfish box and set it down. My second location was me walking from my apartment to my class. I recorded sounds of cars and people talking as they walked. When I got to my final location, I recorded a classroom setting. I recorded dialogue between my professor and another student.
The recording was not difficult, but problems did arise with the outside locations. It is just too hard to record on a windy day. Other than that, I think I let the listener in on a part of my day. I think it is easy to determine where I was on this soundwalk.

No comments:

Post a Comment